Timeline

History Timeline of AG450 Farm

1930s - 1950s:  
1938                 Dr. William Murray develops the idea of a student managed farm as part of their collegiate experience that emphasize concepts and practices learned in the classroom
1942 187 acre farm (present location of home farm) purchased for $150 per acre (early photos)
1943 First class offered by College of Agriculture during winter quarter with Dr. Murray as instructor; Enrollments eventually peaked at 20 students prior to war.
1950 First tractor was purchased by the students (Farmall C) and was used exclusively for farm chores.
1950s Field equipment was added to the operation
1959 House was moved from central campus to the farm and a classroom was set up in the basement
1960s - 1970s:  
1960s Enterprises on farm included: corn, soybeans, oats, swine, beef cattle feeding, and beef cows
1965 Constructed swine shed
1967 Purchased grain leg and drying equipment
1970 Constructed machine shed located near the grain bins
1974 Constructed open-front swine finishing building
1976 Full line of crop equipment was completed
1977 Constructed farrowing house (west side)
1978 Constructed nursery unit on east side of the confinement farrowing house
1980s-1990s:  
1983 First computer was used on farm
1984 Purchased Brooks Farm (50.5 acres) through the ISU Achievement Foundation
1986 Constructed feed mill building and purchased mix mill system
1988 Classroom was constructed from farm funds
1989 A second machine shed was constructed at the north end of the farmstead
1992 An open-front livestock shed was added
1993

The Norman farm was purchased from the Norman family for $76,000. Thirty-eight acres were added at a cost of $2000 per acre. The farm was financed by the ISU Foundation.

Six additional government bins were added to the grain storage system

1995

A fire in the old farrowing/nursery barn destroyed the building and approximately 600 head of sows and pigs.

A used combine (JD 7720 with JD 643 corn head) was added to the equipment line.

The computer system at the farm was upgraded with a larger and more efficient microcomputer added to replace older units.

1996 New 300 head nursery was constructed; Farrowing/nursery building was remodeled into confinement farrowing house; New three car garage was constructed by students; Row crop equipment moved to a 12 row system
1997 New 1200 head capacity swine finishing building was completed (primary contractor was Hog Slat, Humboldt, Iowa which donated $23,810 of building materials and labor towards this project); Purchased 1996 Case IH 5240 tractor with Westendorf loader
1998 Record low hog prices in December
2000s:  
2000 Grant received for computers for precession farming
2001 Livestock barn converted into a 139 head capacity Gestation Building
2002 A compost pile was constructed for the farm
2003 Gift from Pearl Edna Rathman Trust used in construction of new computer laboratory and office; Started leasing a JD8320 tractor; Purchased John Deere 9600 Combine and Brent 420 auger wagon; Celebrated 60th Anniversary
2005 Purchased John Deere Garden Tractor with 62 inch deck
2006 Purchased Case IH Field Cultivator; Dr. Charles Steiner named Assistant Professor and Instructor in charge of Ag450 Farm; Ground breaking for the new agriculture mechanics shop started in the fall
2007 All livestock removed from farm since the creation of the Ag450 Farm. This allowed for a thorough cleaning to get ready for contract feeding. New Ag Shop constructed
2008 New Ag Shop completed. Construction and filling of new grain bin. Resided tin buildings and expanded original machine shed. New farm sign installed with new I-State logo.
2009 Students are in process of assessing needs and implementing plans to ensure a bright future for the AgEdS 450 Farm.
2010  
2011 100th anniversary of Agriculture Education at ISU. Tailgate and farm tours were held during homecoming week.